Friday, November 16, 2012

A Letter To The Lady With The Tears

 




   I saw you circling me, watching me and maybe analyzing me today while I was faithfully working through my bicep and shoulder reps. Our eyes finally met but you rather quickly averted yours only to miss my smile. I watched you walk away with your shoulders slumped and your head hanging down. I secretly said a quick prayer for you and wiped the sweat from my forehead and continued on with my reps all while keeping you in my sight. Out of the corner of my eye I saw you approaching me with such determination that I stopped and quickly turned only to find you with tears threatening to spill from your beautiful green eyes. Then you spoke. With both passion and desperation in your voice you complimented me immensely and offered to pay me to help you achieve your goals, to even set goals for you and to workout with you. "I want to look like you", you said. An overwhelming mixture of feelings pulsed through me as I told you that I would love to help you but would accept no money.  In broken English, you passionately spewed your story of having kids, gaining weight, your eating habits and how terribly unhappy and disappointed you are with yourself.  My throat tightened and my stomach clenched as a single tear trickled down your cheek. My heart was breaking for you right there in the midst of the gym with the clanking of weights and the beating of the bass from the music. We talked about training splits and I shared with you my workout journal and encouraged you to get one and that I would help you write up some workouts to get you started. We toured the gym floor and talked about the different machines and you excitedly asked me questions and asked for demonstrations. We covered diet and the importance of clean eating. And we laughed like we were old friends. Before long 40 minutes had passed. I dug into my bag and handed you some full body workouts that I had used a while back and quickly explained how to run them. A smile spread across your face revealing your perfectly straight white teeth and I noticed those threatening tears where back, but this time they were tears of joy and relief. You've had many accomplishments in your life, my friend. You have given birth to and have cared and loved your children every day, every minute, you have already lost TEN pounds with diet and occasional cardio, and you have taken a step in the right direction to live a healthier life. Be proud of yourself today and tomorrow and every day thereafter. We didn't even know each others names, but we hugged each other tight, I didn't even care that I was dripping with sweat and smelled like a dirty gym towel. Thank you my friend, for sharing a bit of your morning with me, for laughing with me and for allowing me to share my passion for fitness with you. I will always be there for you, to cheer you on, to get you back on track, to tell you to slow down or pick up the pace!  As I was preparing for my StairMaster workout I watched you confidently walk towards the locker room with your shoulders pushed back and your head held high. You paused briefly and turned to me to reward me with a broad smile revealing your perfect teeth once again. I gave you a thumbs up and a smile....as a single tear of joy quickly made its way down my cheek.




No comments:

Post a Comment