Thursday, November 22, 2012

What Every Mom With Muscles Needs To Know To Survive The Holidays




OK. It's that time for me to review my Holiday Survival List that I created a few years ago! I hope this inspires you to either use this list or make your own! Let's have a very very happy, stress free holiday Moms with Muscles! Please feel free to share your lists with me!



  • Commit to stay on your current fitness schedule as much as possible.
  • I work out every morning and even when my two lovely boys are out of school and the temptation to sleep in is there.....I get my booty up and hit the gym at my normal time. I feel great after and am so much more productive, not to mention in a great mood;)!
  • Give yourself a 'cheat' meal. I give myself one cheat meal per week during the holidays. If I know I'm heading to a party....that would be my cheat. It is hard, temptation is everywhere, I don't believe in depriving myself, but I do try my hardest to schedule my cheat and look forward to it!
  • Portion Control! Easy, right?! I always make sure that I have the appropriate portion sizes for each item. I usually aim for 4 oz of lean protein and 1-2 cups of veggies and 1/3 cup of rice or sweet potato. I try my hardest to stick to this even during the big holiday meals and fabulous parties.
  • Avoid 'party eaters peer pressure'. This used to be a problem for me. I would indulge because everyone else was, then I would end up feeling terrible for the next two days! Now I enjoy a few treats at Holiday parties, but keep the grazing under control. 
  • Lots and Lots of Water! Water amazes me actually. I drink a little over 1 gallon per day and on days that I fall short, I feel it in my skin, digestive system etc. 
  • Take time for yourself. Every day find time to do something you love, even if for only 15 minutes. I find my morning workouts are my time to recharge my battery. I also love to read, so I will always find at least 20 minutes a day to get lost in a great book.
  • Park your car far far away. I do this no matter what, and walk as briskly as I can to my desired location. Get your heart pumping! 
  • Make lists. I make a list of what I want to buy or make each person for Christmas. I then schedule shopping into my days and get it done! I just love checking completed items off the lists!
  • Set a goal to be 'active' even on rest days. I always try and squeeze in some sort of easy peasy cardio on my rest days. My husband and I might take a 2-4 mile walk with our lovely Sheltie or jump on the trampoline with our two boys.
  • Avoid keeping 'dangerous' foods within easy reach. I always store treats, snacks and any tempting food in the back of the pantry or fridge. I find if they are on the counter I'm easily lured to take 'just a little'! For my boys, I always set out the cut up fruit right around the time I know their snack monsters rear their heads! Works every time;)!
  • Organize your day the night before. This is a life saver for me! I learned that this totally reduces my stress levels, especially during the busy holidays! 
  • Never go hungry. I never go to a Holiday party or function hungry. If I'm not hungry, there is less risk of overeating of sweet treats!
  • AHH! Hit the hay earlier! So hard for me, but when I do this I feel like a million bucks! This is so beneficial when you know you will be up late later in the week.
  • Get Fresh Air. To step out in the cool morning or evening air and take time to breathe deep and enjoy nature is so invigorating to me. It's another 'recharger' for me! Try it;).
  • Laugh every day....Loud! The best stress reliever yet. My silly boys and crazy husband keep me laughing. Laugh daily as much as you can, even if you have to watch a funny sitcom or movie. My husband and I apply this to our kids as well.....we always try and make them laugh and giggle before bed. Laugh loud, just let it go!
  • Hug and/or kiss. This is another no brainer really. I hug and kiss my kids everyday, even when my teenager rolls his eyes. I hug and kiss my husband as much as possible. And when I receive a random out of the blue  hug from my kids the most amazing feeling rushes through me. It makes my day. Hug someone everyday, it will make their day and yours.
  • Perform random acts of kindness. I try daily to help someone, a stranger. It might be as simple as holding the door open for someone. But my most absolute favorite act of kindness is when in line at the Starbucks drive thru, buying the car behind me their coffee. My husband does this quite often. It is so much more fun to give than receive!
  • Take a mental vacation. I find that praying or meditating randomly throughout the day for as little as 1 minute releases stress and centers me. 
Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment